Hands-on learning comes to Baldwin
Explore. Tinker. And learn! Our Idea Lab is our newest space, where big ideas come to life. The Idea Lab is a place of collaboration where all ages and tech levels can explore their own ideas — or to join us for one of our how-to events. The Lab will continue to evolve as new ideas and innovations come along. Next time you’re in the Library, stop in and see what’s new. And check this page often, as it will be updated frequently with new information and events.
The Idea Lab provides 3D printing services to you! If you have something you would like 3D printed, simply provide us with your 3D model files, and some information about what you’re printing. Your print will be added to the queue, and we will contact you to come and pick it up when it is done!
- Click here to send us your 3D Model for printing.
- Or, email us your 3D Model at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Be sure to include some information about what you are printing, and any material or color options you would like.)
- Or, just bring us your 3D model on a USB drive (or other data storage device) during Lab Hours.
3D prints typically cost around $0.03 per gram, plus a $1 printing fee. Certain high-end materials (such as metal or wood type materials) will cost more than $0.03 per gram, and you will be informed of any increase prior to printing. Once your print has completed, it will be weighed to determine the total cost. What is 3D Printing? Click here to view our Idea Lab 3D Printing Info Sheet! Click here to learn more about 3D Printing technology! Whenever we’re open, we’re happy to show you our 3D printers, and answer any questions you have about this fascinating technology!
The Idea Lab contains the following equipment:
- Full Spectrum H-Series 40 Watt Laser Engraver/Cutter (Cutting area: 20 x 12 in.)
- CubePro Duo (Build size: 28 x 23 x 27 cm.)
- Wanhao Duplicator i3 (Build size: 20 x 20 x 18 cm.)
- COMING SOON! Prusa i3 MK3 (Build size: 25 x 21 x 20 cm.)
- Rotary Tool with attachments
- Soldering Iron
- Industrial-Grade Hot Melt Adhesive Gun
- Button Maker (3 in. Diameter)
- 3D Pens
- Assorted Hand Tools
Laser Engraving and Cutting
The Idea Lab offers the use of our Laser Engraver/Cutter!
To use the Laser Engraver, you must first take our Training Certification Course. This one-on-one training session will teach you the basics of laser cutting and engraving, and enable you book time on our laser engraver for your own projects.
- Click here to request a training session!
- Or, email us your request at email@example.com. (Provide your name, and some details regarding your interest in The Idea Lab.)
- Or, visit us during Lab Hours to arrange a session.
What is Laser Engraving?
We are always happy to talk about lasers! Stop by and ask us a question anytime we’re open!
3D PRINTER FILAMENTS
PLA – A versatile, durable plastic. Made from plant starches. The most popular material for 3D printing.
Available In: Black, White, Grey, Red, Orange, Yellow, Gold, Light Green, Dark Green, Turquoise, Transluscent Blue, Purple, Pink, and others.
PETG – An especially rigid plastic. Desirable optical properties.
Available in: Clear, Transluscent Orange, and others.
COMPOSITE FILAMENTS – These are specialty materials which blend plastic and other particles such as wood or metal. (Additional cost for premium filaments between 5 and 10 cents per gram)
Available in: Wood, Bronze, and others.
For more information on 3D Printer filament types: Click here for a helpful article comparing all currently marketed filament varieties.
LASER ENGRAVER MATERIALS
We have a selection of materials for use with our Laser Engraver/Cutter!
- Cardstock, assorted colors – $0.25/sheet
- 1/8″ Acrylic (Red, White, Black, or Clear) – $4.50/sheet
- Baltic Birch Plywood – $3.00/sheet
- Lauan Plywood – $3.00/sheet
- Standard Plywood – $3.00/sheet
Our computer lab features six computers with a variety of media editing and design software:
Adobe Creative Suite:
- Premiere Pro
- And Others
3D Modeling and Design Software:
- AutoDesk Fusion 360
- And Others
The computer lab is accessible at any time the library is open, but the lab computers do require a pass to use. You can receive a pass from Idea Lab staff or from a librarian at the Adult Services reference desk.
We are generally open during the following times:
- Monday through Thursday, 9:30am to 9:00pm
- Friday and Saturday, 9:30am to 5:00pm
Our schedule and availability does frequently change, so click the link below for our up-to-the-moment availability:
When viewing our schedule, note that the light grey areas indicate our Open Hours, and the dark grey areas indicate Closed Hours.
Check Out Our Digital Services
Baldwin has thousands of titles that you can watch, read, and listen to on your computer or mobile device - all without having to set foot in the library.
2 Hours Free Parking in Chester Street Deck.
Metered street parking around Library
Free Parking on Sundays
Monday to Thursday
9:30 am - 9:00 pm
Friday and Saturday
9:30 am - 5:30 pm
12:00 pm - 5:00pm
May 26-28 - Memorial Day Weekend
July 4 - Independence Day
September 1-3 - Labor Day Weekend
Baldwin Library Idea Lab
The Idea Lab is the Baldwin Public Library's new space for hands-on exploring, tinkering, and learning. We're here to encourage learning and collaboration through access to new technologies and machines. Currently we have a 3d printer and laser cutter available for use. ALL experience levels are welcome.
Monday - Thursday
9:30am - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday
12:00pm - 5:00pm
Baldwin Public Library
300 W. Merrill St.
Birmingham, MI 48009