Baldwin Public Library: Three Phase Renovation Plan
Based on feedback from Library patrons, staff, and community members, the Baldwin Public Library has developed a long-term vision of the Library building. The building should be a well-designed, forward-looking, technologically advanced, and visually exciting space in which to carry out innovative library services in the 21st century.
The Vision includes the following three phases:
- PHASE 1: ADULT SERVICES RENOVATION
(Completed in May 2017)
- PHASE 2: YOUTH ROOM EXPANSION AND RENOVATION
(To be completed by September 2020)
- PHASE 3: CIRCULATION, LOBBY, AND PUBLIC ENTRANCE RENOVATION
(Proposed for 2023-2024)
Phase Two: Youth Room Expansion & Renovation
The Baldwin Public Library, which serves the communities of Birmingham, Beverly Hills, Bingham Farms, and Bloomfield Hills, began an expansion and renovation of its Youth Room on Thursday, August 15, 2019. The project was delayed due to COVID-19 and is expected to be completed by September 2020.
Expansion and Renovation Goals
- ENHANCE Baldwin’s ability to serve the children of our community by providing developmentally appropriate learning spaces for children from birth to sixth grade
- SATISFY needs and requests shared by parents, caregivers, children, and staff that have been collected through a variety of forums
- INCREASE value that the Library delivers to residents, businesses, and visitors of all ages
- ENSURE Birmingham remains competitive against other communities who have invested heavily in their libraries
- STRENGTHEN Birmingham’s civic center by providing an exterior that complements the existing building, Shain Park, The Community House, and the city campus
Expansion and Renovation Details
- 40% expansion, or approximately 2,000 square feet
- New furniture and carpeting
- Larger play area, story room, and seating capacity
- Make the entire area ADA-compliant, including the book shelves and the bathrooms
- Modernize and increase the capacity of the bathrooms
- Add display cases and a large aquarium, as well as a separate room for strollers and coats
- Expose the brick of the original 1927 building
- Clad the room in heat- and glare-reducing glass from floor to ceiling
- Add an outdoor children’s terrace and garden
Phase Two: Process
In 2017, in preparation for Phase 2 of its long-range building vision, the Baldwin Public Library issued an RFP for the conceptual/schematic design of a Youth Room expansion and renovation. Luckenbach Ziegelman Gardner (architects) and Karen Swanson (interior designer) were selected to do the work. The Library presented its plans to the Birmingham City Commission in January 2018, and in May 2018 the Commission voted to begin pre-funding the project in fiscal year 2018-19. The City issued an RFP for the construction of the Youth Room in March 2019 and the City Commission selected The Dailey Company for the construction project. The project construction will begin on Thursday, August 15, 2019 and will be completed by September 2020. The cost of the project is estimated at $2.7 million.
- RFP for Conceptual/Schematic design for Expansion/Renovation of Youth Services
- Fanning Howey’s 2011 conceptual/schematic design for proposed renovation of Library
- Library building program developed by George Lawson
- Vision for Future of Library Building, adopted by Library Board in 2014
- Long-Range Building Vision 2016
- RFP for Design Development and Construction Documents for Expansion/Renovation of Youth Services
Donate online via Paypal
Thank you for supporting the Youth Room Expansion & Renovation project. All donations are tax-deductible. Donations of $1000 or more will be recognized on a donor wall in the new Youth Room.
To pay by check or cash, download the BPL Fundraising Pledge Form and mail or deliver it to:
Baldwin Public Library Trust
300 W. Merrill
Birmingham, MI 48009
Phase One: Adult Services
Phase One was completed in May 2017, thanks to the following team of talented and dedicated professionals:
- Architects: Luckenbach Ziegelman Gardner
- Interior Designer: Karen Swanson
- Construction: The Dailey Company
- Furniture, Fixtures, Equipment: Library Design Associates
Free Parking in Chester Street Deck through June 30
Metered street parking around Library
Free Parking on Sundays
300 W. Merrill St.
Birmingham, MI 48009
Monday – Thursday: 9:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Friday & Saturday: 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Sunday: 12:00 to 5:00 p.m.
May 29 - 31, 2021: Memorial Day Weekend