Tour the Building
Want to learn some Baldwin history and see our architecture up close? Use our map to take a self-guided tour of our 40,000-square-foot facility anytime. Our first building was built in 1927, the Youth Room followed in 1960 and the Adult Services wing was added in 1981. We recently renovated our Adult Services area, making this an ideal time to compare changes through the decades.
As you’re touring the building, be sure to check out architectural details like the newly exposed brick in our entryway. Visit our innovative and inspiring Idea Lab. And don’t forget to peruse all of our books and media. While you’re visiting, feel free to ask a member of our staff any additional questions — we love talking about our Library.
Fast facts about the Baldwin:
• Meeting rooms are located on the lower level and the second floor, and hold 5-100 people
• Our Youth Room has a story room and play area, and is geared toward infants through grade 6
• Adult Services features our Grand Hall and a collection of fiction and large-print books; the Adult Services wing has non-fiction, the Teen Scene, study rooms and computers
• The Harry Allen Room is dedicated to Local and Michigan history
• The Claudia Ireland Reading Room features biographies, poetry, literary criticism and plays
• Coffee and vending machines, located in the lower level, are open for use
Baldwin Library Idea Lab
Explore. Tinker. And learn! The Idea Lab is our newest space where big ideas come to life and where people of all ages and tech levels are welcome. Drop in or sign up for a skill- or project-based class or make an appointment today to learn how to use our 3D printer or laser engraver. We also have a variety of tools available, including an embroidery machine, soldering equipment, design software, and more.
2 Hours Free Parking in Chester Street Deck.
Metered street parking around Library
Free Parking on Sundays
300 W. Merrill St.
Birmingham, MI 48009
Monday to Thursday
9:30 am - 9:00 pm
Friday and Saturday
9:30 am - 5:30 pm
12:00 pm - 5:00pm
November 27: Closing at 5:30 p.m.
November 28: Thanksgiving
December 24 & 25: Christmas
December 31: Closing at 5:30 p.m.
January 1: New Year's Day