To receive updates about renovations at the Baldwin Public Library, please sign up for Baldwin's Renovation Updates email list.
Phase Two: Youth Services Renovation
- Strengthen Birmingham's civic center
- Increase value that library delivers to residents, businesses and visitors of all ages
- Respond to public input gathered through various forums
- Ensure Birmingham remains competitive against other communities who have invested heavily in their communities
Functional & Aesthetic Improvements
- Efficiency of building
- Infrastructure update
- Increase size of story room, play area, quiet study and collaboration spaces, storage closets, and staff work room
- Improve handicap accessibility
Library Staff and Board members are beginning the initials stages of the Youth Services Renovation plan. In August 2017, the Library will issue an RFP for schematic designs for a renovation and expansion of the Youth Services area. The Library plans to bring completed designs to the City Commission's Budget Hearing and will request that the City begin pre-funding this project. Ideally, the project will begin in Fall 2019.
RFP for Expansion/Renovation of Youth Services Area
RFP for Conceptual/Schematic design for Expansion/Renovation of Youth Services
Fanning Howey's 2011 conceptual/schematic design for proposed renovation of Library
Library building program developed by George Lawson
Vision for Future of Library Building, adopted by Library Board in 2014
Long-Range Building Vision 2016
Phase One: Adult Services Renovation
Construction on the Adult Services Renovation began on October 17, 2016 and was completed on May 31, 2017.
Architects: Luckenbach Ziegelman Gardner
Interior Designer: Karen Swanson
Construction: The Dailey Company
Furniture, Fixtures, Equipment: Library Design Associates
Photographer: Laszlo Regos
View additional progress photos of the renovation.